Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Stumble Upon: Click to a New World

I had previously heard of Stumble Upon but I had never actually explored it myself.  I find that it could become very addicting for any one person.  And turn into something very time consuming.  Even just exploring it in preparation for this class I found myself getting lost in article, pictures, tips, and etc.  Number eight of this article is extremely true!

Stumble Upon's launch of Stumbling for Good seemed like a very smart move for the company.  The large amount of users creates a HUGE audience for non profits.  The audience also basically segments itself by choosing what interests them.  If a user is interested in health this option will be given to them the very first time they sign up for the website.  This keeps a nonprofit from wasting time promoting themselves to those who are never going to utilize their resources.

Although Stumbling for Good does benefit a nonprofit it does entail patience on behalf of the organization.  In order for an organization to become popular it must have many, many likes and recommendations from users.  This will not likely happen over night and entails weeks of progress and build up for the organization.   

This may seem has a drawback I believe those who are extremely passionate about their organization are willing to take the time and invest in Stumble Upon.  The benefits of joining are among others the increase of traffic to your website, as stated in this article.  An additional article from Read Write Web also mentioned the high traffic on Stumble Upon.  The second article in particular compared Stumble Upon to Twitter.  The comparison seems difficult in my eyes, but the article is also over three years old now. 

Through Stumble Upon a user is able to explore their interest and discover website they had not previously known existed.  The "random'ness" of it can easily get a user lost in links from blogs to blog. (Like myself!)  The user may even discover a health organization who promotes a cause dear to them.     

I would not recommend a health organization to use Stumble Upon as a starting grounds for many reason.  The most important being that you must already have ready to read material prior to investing yourself into Stumble Upon.  Stumble Upon should be a third or even fourth media platform an organization should utilize.  The platforms prior to Stumble Upon would help an organization build up enough material to promote first. 

A came across Woman's Day a couple of time exploring throughout the site.  Although it is not primarily a health organization I found it in the health interests as well as the fitness interests.  I was directly to their own website which pertained articles about home remedies and exercise habits a person should consider. 

In the article you could clearly see the tab 'Health+Fitness" through Stumble Upon, which is what grabbed my attention.  Before I knew it i was exploring a health blog through blog spot by following an article on Stumble Upon.

Over all I am really pleased when Stumble Upon based on the similarity to Pinterest.  I enjoy getting lost in my search through Stumble Upon and found it to be educational.  I see the benefits of a health organization utilizing it, if they are patient and have prior material to provide to interested users.

   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment