Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Yahoo! Answers: are there any answers?

Yahoo! Answers as a social media?! I had not even thought about this. 
My first thoughts going in to exploring YA was similar to Wikis and comparing it to Wikipedia.  I was very skeptical.  I have to admit, I still am.  I feel skeptical because I question the credibility of those giving answers.  I do not feel this is out of questions when it comes to something as serious as a person's health.

The feature of a person providing answers with a bio is somewhat helpful.  The only problem being I could essentially create an account and provide false information to make myself seem more credible.  For an organization they are able to provide links to their website.  This makes me feel more comfortable as a user. 

Another problem with this is finding an organization providing answers.  I had a difficult time finding an organization doing this.  In my opinion, the majority of answers are coming from individual people. 

The Top 10 Ways to Promote Your Business On YA  article is from an individual who is apart of an organization.  I can see where this might be more beneficial for this media due to the users being individuals.

The same article suggests breaking rules that are not liked by the users.  I'm not so sure this is a great way to promote yourself.  Although it may work out in the short-run, why would an organization want to promote themselves based on actions that are looked down on by the users?
I, myself, would not think highly of an organization who vote for their answers to gain popularity.  This almost contradicts itself; of course you think your answer is the best, or you wouldn't have provided it.

An individual I found through YA was Dr. Qutub.  Dr. Qutub includes his work experience in his 'About Me' section that seem credible to me, but are they real?  His graphs include 4978 questions being answered and 3756 being voted best answers. 

As a user how do I know these were truly the best answer to the question?  How do I know he did not vote on them himself?  How do I know he didn't choose questions that no one else had answered, except himself?  All of these are risks users of YA must take into consideration.




        

No comments:

Post a Comment